In the last few months, we’ve taken a long look at who we are, what we’re doing, and what the Hideout is all about. It has been intense and emotional.
As owners, it’s on us to make sure everyone feels welcome at the Hideout, especially our staff. We believe that everyone – owners, staff, performers, or patrons – who walks through our doors must treat each other with respect and decency. No exceptions.
During our hiatus, we heard over and over just how important the Hideout is to so many people. So today we’re announcing the Hideout will reopen on January 10, 2023. But when we reopen, it will be with some important improvements.
Over the past two months, our human resources advisor, an expert in workplace culture and diversity, equity, and inclusion, interviewed all Hideout staff and owners to find out what’s working and what isn’t. Those individual, confidential conversations provided great insights and ideas about how to improve the Hideout.
Some of the changes we are making include:
- new leadership reporting structures
- additional support and resources for staff
- creating a Diversity & Inclusion Council of our staff
- formalizing our open hiring process and incorporating DEI goals in that process
- developing key performance indicators that are universal to all employees
- conducting ongoing facilitated sessions on topics including disrupting bias
We have also adopted a new DEI statement that makes our values clear, which you can find on our website.
Now, our job is to put these ideas into action. We are not perfect, we are a work in progress. But we are absolutely committed to trying to do what is right. And we know the Hideout community will hold us accountable as we move forward.
So we ask you, when you’re ready, to join us as we start a new chapter at the Hideout.
Jim, Katie, Mike, and Tim