The Hideout Block Party/ Onion & A.V. Fest Announce line up.
Death Cab For Cutie, The War On Drugs, The Dismemberment Plan, funky METERS, and more.
Friday September 5 and Saturday September 6, 2014. Two-day passes on sale NOW.
The Hideout Block Party and A.V. Fest continue their happy alliance, Friday September 5 and Saturday September 6, 2014.
The A.V. Club (the arts-and-entertainment wing of The Onion, America’s Finest News Source) and the Hideout (Chicago’s finest live-music source) have combined forces again to present one terrific festival, taking place Friday September 5 and Saturday September 6just outside the Hideout, at 1354 W. Wabansia St.
Confirmed acts include headliner, Death Cab For Cutie, plus The War On Drugs, The Dismemberment Plan, funky METERS, Mac DeMarco, The Handsome Family, Valerie June, Sylvan Esso, Bad Luck Jonathan, and Plastic Crimewave Vision Celestial Guitarkestra. (Additional bands and detailed schedule will be announced at a later date.)
Two-day passes are on-sale now via Ticketfly. A portion of every ticket sold will benefit a variety of Chicago charities, including Foundations Of Music (formerly Rock For Kids).
This will be the 18th Hideout Block Party; and the third time in a row that The Hideout has teamed up with The A.V. Club for one big festival. Previous headliners have included Wilco, Neko Case, Iron & Wine, Glen Hansard, and more.
The annual Hideout Block Party has become a highly anticipated event for performers, critics, and fans. It presents high-profile and emerging national artists, with beloved local musicians in a low-stress, family-friendly festival. Food and drink will of course be available, along with a kids area, a bike valet, and much more. Our fantastic sponsors this year will include WXRTand Lagunitas beer.
Information and updates can be found at www.hideoutblockpartyavfest.com orfest.avclub.com.
A little bit about some of our acts:
- Death Cab For Cutie is a legendary Seattle indie-rock band currently at work on their eighth album, due out sometime in 2015. The band hasn’t played in Chicago in more than two years. This will be their only Chicago performance for 2014.
- The War On Drugs played the Block Party/AV Fest a couple of years back, and they’ve since blown up in a big, beautiful way. The band’s third album, Lost In The Dream, seems like a lock for many 2014 year-end lists.
- The Dismemberment Plan broke up after releasing 2001’s acclaimed Change, but a huge resurgence in interest brought the band back together to celebrate their landmark 1999 albumEmergency & I. That led to new music, including last year’s Uncanney Valley.
- funky Meters are stone-cold legends of funk who’ve played with everybody from Dr. John to Allen Toussaint. In 2013, they were nominated for The Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame.
- Mac DeMarco is a Canadian rocker whose noisy, laconic songs have won him critical acclaim over the last couple of years. His latest album is Salad Days.
- The Handsome Family Brett and Rennie Sparks, the influential husband-wife outfit once called Chicago home. Their influence stretches far and wide, from the theme song to True Detective to Andrew Bird, who will pay tribute to the group on a new album.
- Sylvan Esso is an electro-pop duo featuring Nick Sanborn of Megafaun and Amelia Meath of Mountain Man, though their work in this band whose debut album came out this month is already overshadowing anything they’ve done in the past.
- Valerie June is a Tennessean who mixes folk, blues, and gospel sounds into a beautiful, heady stew. Her latest album is Pushin Against A Stone.
- Bad Luck Jonathon Jon Langford (Mekons, Skull Orchard. Waco Brothers) has performed at every Hideout Block Party in the 21st Century. This will be the world premiere of his newest “big noisy rock band” which includes members from Skull Orchard to Whiskeytown.
- Plastic Crimewave Vision Celestial Guitarkestra Renaissance man Steve Krakow, (Plastic Crimewave Syndicate, Galactic Zoo Dossier, much, much more), will assemble a circle of 75+ musicians or “cosmonauts” who pick a chord and then shred to the high heavens. PCVCG welcomes everyone of all ages, to participate in this massive cosmic jam.