Michelle Billingsley sings about a whole lot of subjects considered taboo for polite women. Though you might not catch it on first listen—she wraps her charmingly cutting lyrics in boisterous acoustic strumming, her dryly dark sense of humor and a (whip)smart-assed vocal delivery. It all sounds a bit like Emmylou Harris went through the looking glass.
Billingsley’s new debut album for Western Myth Records, Not the Marrying Kind—produced by multi-instrumentalist Matt Brown—is an Americana gem. Out of the gates, Brown made the sage choice of putting legendary producer/engineer Brian Deck (Modest Mouse, Josh Ritter, Iron & Wine) behind the boards—and the drum kit—for the sessions. The resulting record is genuine, irreverent, unique and fearless. Its spare, moody vibe draws you in close with your guard down, and once you pause long enough to get your head around the songs, the depth of Billingsley’s talent comes sharply into focus. It’s a deceptively heavy record, yet somehow it’s still undeniably fun—fantastic whimsy mixed with black comedy and brisk little melodies that make the journey all the more powerful, human and affecting.
- We respectfully ask that you do not arrive before doors for everyone's comfort and safety, as there will be guests from the early show departing.
- This show will be held outside on the Hideout's front patio.
- 21+. Please arrive with your e-ticket ready on your phone at full brightness for door staff to scan. Door staff will also check ID and vaccination card. Please have these ready when you arrive.
- Seating is available for all guests but we do not reserve tables. Please seat yourself upon entry.
- Tickets are non-refundable and non-exchangeable. Please review your order carefully before confirming.